A Moment with Queen Charlotte

In honor of Queen Charlotte's birthday on May 19th, 1744, it's only fitting I write about a place that is her namesake. But first, we must start with the hero of the story. His name was Roger, and he made my day.


A speaking engagement found me in Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada, and as luck would have it, I was able to take advantage of a break in the agenda to seek out afternoon tea.  J threw her lot in with me, and we showed up at the Queen Charlotte Tea Room on the off chance we'd be able to get a table. When we first arrived, Roger greeted us apologetically with the news that there was no room at the inn. And indeed, the place was hopping!  We were about to say thank you and be on our way, when he asked us to just wait one more moment.


Magically, he conjured a small table out of thin air, and with that our afternoon tea began. A pot of Scottish Breakfast Tea later, and then the real decisions began. This was no ordinary tea room. This was Queen Charlotte's Tea Room, an English Tea Room complete with Shepherd's Pie and Fish and Chips on the menu. The aromas were heavenly. The Shepherd's Pie was exactly what I needed. My compliments to Chef Linda!


Afternoon tea for me is always a good thing, but afternoon tea with great company is the best. I have only spent a little bit of time with J in the past year, but she's the type of person who feels like an old friend. No topic is off limits, stories are lively and sincere, and every person who interacts with her falls head over heels in love. It's as fun to watch others enjoy her attention as it is to be the object of it.


And to be in this particular tea room. Cozy, warm, and so very British, Roger and the rest of the staff made us feel as though we were the visiting long-lost relatives. It was clear why they had a full house. I have a feeling this was the norm, rather than the exception.



Most people visit Niagara Falls for the waterfall, and I'll tell you, that's definitely a magnificent attraction. But this tea room should definitely be on your itinerary. When you need a place in which to slow down, relax and be fed, you'll find no better option than right here.

And as I told J on our way to the airport, "We'll always have Roger."

To Visit Queen Charlotte Tea Room:

Location:
5689 Main Street
Niagara Falls, ON L2G 2E5
Phone: (905)-371-1350

Hours:
Mon:  Closed
Tue - Thur: 11AM - 7PM
Fri:  11AM - 8PM
Sat - Sun:  11AM - 7PM

Reservations recommended (and please tell Roger and Linda hello from me)!

Comments