A Moment of Reawakening

This whole thing began in 2008, not long after I became a mom for the first time. I have never felt so tired, so overwhelmed, so completely incompetent as I did in those first few weeks and months. I had put all my consulting clients on hold, so I didn't even have the comfort of work projects to be the hand that steadied my flagging self-confidence. 

Writing. I knew how to do that. 

Tea. I would like to learn more about that.

Travel Diaries. I enjoyed re-reading those parts of my life where tea and writing seemed to often collide, documenting times that seemed less consequential, more adventurous. 

And that's when An International Tea Moment was born. It was honestly a way to remind myself that I did know how to do SOMETHING! 

As my baby girl grew, my confidence as a mom grew, too, and the interest in my "Tea Moments" grew, too! I was approached to review amazing teas and tea accessories and tea venues and tea books; I spoke on panels about tea; I was hired to be a ghostwriter for one of the largest tea manufacturers in the U.S.; I drank gallons of tea. 

In the background of all of that, I had taken a full-time job and had forged my path in a completely unrelated field. I, then, had another baby, and not only were my family responsibilities growing, but my career responsibilities also grew, too. Suddenly, the time, space, and (frankly) interest in writing about tea began to shrink until I realized months had passed since I'd written a single tea-related thing. Then years. The thrill was gone. My time was spoken for. 

Until last month. 

I received the most interesting package. 

Tea Runners. 



It had my complete attention. So much so, that an old habit sprung from long-forgotten shadows, and I reached for my phone to document the 'unboxing' of whatever lay inside. 


The cardboard box gave the impression of a flat steamer trunk with faux, printed leather straps across the top. Inside, tissue paper and a nautical themed seal: Original Box. The interior of the cardboard box heightened the nautical theme to full sea-faring bliss. Tall ships, maps, a compass rose, looping calligraphy. Plus, all of the modern conveniences of their Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter handles.

At this point, I was all in. 


And then a bright, happy postcard slipped out with the simple word, "August." I had been sent a tea-of-the-month box, and I don't think I've ever been happier. Even better, the four packets of loose tea represented what I consider to be a perfect spectrum for most tastes - a black tea, a green tea, a caffeine-free option (rooibos, in this case), and a chai blend. 

Here's a confession for you. I started my original tea journey with an Irish Breakfast blend. In 2008, it was Stash's Irish Breakfast tea. That was my daily staple. In 2021, despite tasting hundreds of teas, tea blends, and tea-adjacent options, I am back to Irish Breakfast Tea. Only now it's elevated. Hand-blended by the incomparable California Tea and Herbal's founder, Diane. It's the only one I'll drink now.

I mix things up from time to time with an Assam or English Breakfast blend, but I have had no interest in blends of any kind. Until that day.

Inexplicably, I put on the kettle and brewed myself a cup of their Tangerine Pear Green. Everything about that choice was counter to my everyday normal. But that day simply wasn't a normal day. I brewed the green tea blend in my bright green mug and sat and sipped in front of my younger daughter's latest artwork: a painting of a bright, showy peacock. 


The green tea was grassy like spring, balanced out with just a hint of the pear, and even more subtle notes of tangerine. Smooth, sunny, and with a dry finish. I was so surprised at how much I liked it, I think I drank the entire mug in about 5 minutes! Missing were all of the components that typically cause me to shun tea blends with fruity anything in them. There was no artificial sweetness. There was no chemical slick. It was Tangerine Pear Green, just as the name described. 

All I could do was think, "Is this how it begins again?"

I don't know who sent me this box of inspiration. I don't know if it was a kind friend or if Tea Runners accidentally sent their teas to a blogger who no longer blogged without realizing that was the case. I don't know why I ended up with these packets of tea or why they seemed to flip this switch of interest and curiosity on, but there it is.

We'll see if it's an anomaly or if it's something more. There's a lot that's happened in the blogosphere since I've been gone. Lots less writing. Lots more Tik-Tok-ing. We'll see where it all leads. 

Let me know in the comments what you think of this potential return. Shall we share more moments together? If so, where should I go, what should I try? 

Thanks for joining me here. I've missed you. 

Comments

  1. I can't tell you how happy it made me to see you post again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That means a lot, coming from one of the Original Tea Bloggers! Thank you!

      Delete
  2. Whatever you decide to do, we're happy the ol' muse got a tug. 👏

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! I think if blogging isn't your main source of income, it's easy to come and go as you please and it only enriches everyone's lives when it happens. In one year after we've moved please come to Eugene for a tea moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the way you think! Thank you. And yes, when you've made the move, I can't wait to come and see all of you. It's been too long! I've already told Heather I want to come and be a seasonal farm hand on the flower farm, so don't be surprised if one day you spot me there in work boots and a floppy hat.

      Delete

Post a Comment