A 'Vote For Me' Moment


I'm suddenly transported back to 4th grade where I chose to run for class representative against my classroom BFF, Molly Puckett. I made posters, I chatted up all my classmates. I wanted that recognition, that attention, and (quite frankly) that Power. And I knew Molly already had the majority of the recognition and attention on a daily basis (she was a total sweetheart). I wanted my moment in the sun.

And I got it.

Molly's response was to give me a huge 10-year-old bear hug of congratulations. Her face beamed with joy. I was bewildered. I had been readying myself for a lot of consoling of my dear, disappointed friend. Without skipping a beat, she explained, "In my family, we rejoice with those who rejoice and weep with those who weep!" and that was that.

The handful of times I ran for anything throughout my school years, I toned it down significantly. That 4th grade experience fed me a heaping helping of humble pie. And my attitude (in general) about losing to others in competitive situations changed as well. To this very day, every time I lose to someone else, I hear Molly's voice in my head, "Rejoice with those who rejoice. Weep with those who weep." (My outward actions still need some work, but the intention is there!)

Today, nearly 30 years later, I'm campaigning again. This time for something that holds no Power whatsoever. It's vanity pure and simple, if I'm going to be completely honest. But it's something that would create a lot of joy for me.

An International Tea Moment was just nominated for "Best Tea Blog" for the 2014 World Tea Awards, and the decision lies in the hands of the general public. If you feel so inclined, I'd be honored to secure your vote for An International Tea Moment as Best Tea Blog.

To cast your vote, please enter my blog name under Best Tea Blog on the Survey Monkey ballot found HERE.

Or, if there's another tea blog that you read regularly that you feel deserves your vote, enter their blog name on the ballot. Because, there are no losers here. The fact that you're reading my blog today holds more meaning for me than any 1-time award ever could.

And Molly, wherever you are, thank you for teaching me such a valuable lesson that I not only carry with me every day of my life, I'm teaching it to my own family.

My name is Jen, and I approve this message.

Comments