A Retro Spring Flavored Moment

Isn't it funny when a random theme just pops up and plays itself over and over again in your life. In my case, the theme is Ambrosia. On Top Chef Masters, it was one of the "horrible dishes of the 1960's" that the contestants were challenged to reinvent. Several versions showed up at the reception of my grandfather's memorial a couple of weekends ago - prepared by the sweetest army of Northern California women ever to breathe - and now, here it is in my tea cup. Sans marshmallow.


Though always a little leery of fruity-teas, American Tea Room always knows when they need to give me a little shove toward an enlightening experience. This week, as we were finally experiencing some true Southern California weather - blue skies, 80 degrees, etc., a white tea sounded like just the thing, and wouldn't you know it. There was Ambrosia waiting for me: a white tea with mango and pear. After steeping, I inhaled the light frangrance of sun-warmed pears. The first sip - spring in a cup! With just the slightest hint of the fruit supported by a delicately robust white tea platform, I feel I have found my next obsession.

And I learned a secret from David Barenholtz (whose birthday is today - Happy Birthday!). He wrote: it's amazing iced as well....add some mango slices from Trader Joe's and little sparkling lemonade (also from TJ) for a real treat.

Can't wait to try that!

Maybe it was the recent theme of Ambrosia that opened me to the idea of drinking it in its tea form. In any case, I'm glad I did. A little retro is a lot all right!

Comments