A Confessional Moment


I love a good game of tag, and I want to thank Lu Ann, author of The Cup Of Life, for thinking up a great way to get to know more fun folks in what I dub, "The Underground Tea Syndicate."
And so, based on the questions she has posed, here is where I write my Tea Confessions:

1) First, let's start with how you were introduced & fell in love with the wonderful beverage of tea. There were many initial tea moments as I was growing up. My great-grandma Olive, for example, would steep me a cup of Lipton tea and let me drop numerous ice cubes in it. Or, in the summer she'd scoop a tablespoon of powdered tea concentrate into a glass of cold water for some instant iced tea. But where the fascination really took hold was a trip to visit my Aunt Jane and she took me out for afternoon tea. You can read all about that moment right here.

2) What was the very first tea blend that you ever tried?

 Difficult to recall. My mom often had and still has Red Rose tea on hand, and that was my first foray into Lipton alternatives.

3) When did you start your tea blog & what was your hope for creating it?
 I started this blog just after the birth of my first daughter. Becoming a mother was terrifying, confusing and exhausting, and as much as I ferociously protected and cared for my little baby, I needed something, anything, in which I could feel competent. And so I wrote. It wasn't really intended for anyone else initially. It was reflecting on past tea moments and remembering there was a greater world out there that I could someday introduce my little girl to. It was my creative outlet and a way to recharge. I was actually surprised when I realized there were people reading it, and even more surprised (and delighted) when tea companies began reaching out and asking me if I would please try their teas.

4) List one thing most rewarding about your blog & one thing most discouraging.
 I love, love, love when readers share their own special tea moments with me, and I feel like a kid at Christmas when a tea company introduces me to their own creations. I feel both surprised and honored every single time.
I rarely feel discouraged except when I realize how long it's been since my last post. While I initially started writing just for me, now I do feel a bit of pressure (self-imposed) to now stay on the radar screen of the blogiverse - and that can only happen by writing and posting on a regular basis.

5) What type of tea are you most likely to be caught sipping on?
 Single estate Assams or any really robust Breakfast Tea blend. I like a good, strong blend that really kicks you in the teeth and lets you know it's there. That doesn't sound very refined or relaxing, I realize, but I love 'em hearty!

6) Favourite tea latte to indulge in?

 I've only had one Tea Latte and it was a green tea latte from a local cafĂ© that shall remain nameless. I generally prefer not to write negative reviews about things - I prefer to write about that I love - but that was one of the worst things I've ever tasted. I'm going to have to give Tea Latte's another go at another venue. I am very open to recommendations!

7) Favourite treat to pair with your tea?
The cucumber sandwich. It is practically perfect in every particular when it comes to accompanying tea. You can find my recipe at the bottom of this past blog post.

8) If there was one place in the World that you could explore the tea culture at, where would it be & why?
 A tour of tea rooms in the UK would be a fun thing to do again. That would probably be one of the most relaxing vacations I could take right now. But for really exploring tea culture, I would love the opportunity to go and stay at a tea estate in the Assam region or with a tea farmer in Japan. That would be a near religious experience for me. So, if any tea estate owners would like to fly me out to be your personal estate blogger for a week or so, I'm totally available for that. Just sayin'.

9) Any tea time rituals you have that you'd like to share?
 No rituals, per se, but traditions in a sense. Every time my Mom comes out to visit, I try to take her to afternoon tea at a different local tea room. Those are some of my very favorite times in my entire life.

10) Time of day you enjoy drinking tea the most: Morning, Noon, Night or Anytime?
 Morning. All morning.

11) What's one thing you wish for tea in the future?
 That I would have more time to share tea moments with friends and family. We're all so incredibly busy - everyone is - that it's really challenging to find little pockets of time to slow down, share some tea and treats, and enjoy each other's company. It's a selfish wish in a way, but I wish it for everyone - time to connect with loved ones over a cup of tea.

-- Who do you tag?

I TAG:

Jo from Scandalous Tea
Geoffrey from Steep Stories
Tara from Tea & Cookies
Robert from Lord Devotea's Tea Spouts
Darlene from The Tea Enthusiast's Scrapbook

*Note: When/if you create your own tag post, please start by letting your readers know who you were initially tagged by. Feel free to use the photo above as well.

**If you end up participating in this game of TAG, tweet us your post so we can get to know you more too. @teamoment and 
@theteacupoflife OR @teaaholic !

Comments