A Moment to Rise and Shine

When talking to my friends who are moms, I have come to the realization that I’m pretty lucky that my girls are pretty good sleepers. My oldest almost always falls asleep within 5-10 minutes of laying down and then sleeps soundly through the night. My youngest takes a little longer, but once asleep, she does pretty well. 




The tradeoff, however, is that they both wake up at the crack of dawn. At the latest. For the past 6 years, I have been awakened between 5:30 and 6 a.m. every morning. (And no, it doesn't matter what time they go to bed at night. They could go to bed at 7 p.m. or midnight and they'll still be up with the farm hands.)

Now, for many of you, you see this as a benefit. The early bird gets the worm, and all that. Here’s the thing. I’ve spent nearly 40 years on this earth waking up between 7 and 8 a.m. Usually later. When we first moved to California nearly 15 years ago, my boss finally gave up trying to enforce an 8 a.m. start time. Try as I might, I couldn’t get in before 8:20. And it’s not because I’m a night owl. I’ve always gone to bed between 10 and 11 p.m. at the latest. My peak hours are between 10 am. and 1 p.m. What kind of bird does that make me? 

In any case, the bottom line is that it has been a rough adjustment. Every morning is a rude awakening. And this is perhaps why I like my morning cup of tea bold and brash. Take no prisoners. A brew that kicks you in the teeth. Rise. And. Shine.

It is for this reason that I love what 3 Teas has delivered into my cup this morning. Organic Assam, pure and simple. Dark and malty. Mornin’ Sunshine!


And while I am dragged into each day, mentally kicking and screaming, the truth is that I am more productive, I get to start my work day earlier, which means I get to end my work day earlier, which means I get to spend more daylight hours with my girls.


I get it now. They’ve been conspiring all along. 

Comments