Day 9 Meditation Moment - Allow for Joy

There are weeks that seem to extend endlessly, where every minute is scheduled and the minutes that are "free" are used to catch up on the basics so that everyone has food or clean clothes. We're all told, especially moms, to take time for ourselves. That if we don't make recharging a priority, we won't have anything left for anyone else.

Well, sometimes there literally isn't time to even fantasize about recharging for weeks or even months on end. But I feel the important task is to allow for that recharge, that little piece of joy, whenever we can take it.


There's a sushi place near my house that I used to escape to every couple of Saturday afternoons before Anne Marie was born. I'd take my book, order my 'usual' and get a pot of their oolong tea. These days, a Saturday to myself is out of the question and the week is packed solid with other necessities, but last week I took an extra long lunch break and visited my old haunt.

They were happy to see me, they asked about the family, they remembered my love of the crunchy roll. It felt nice. It was a joy to have that moment all to myself, just me, a book, sushi and tea.

It's ok that "free" time looks a little different now. And it's ok that there aren't as many moments to recharge. But when those moments come your way, allow for them. Don't feel guilty. We were created for happiness, and part of that happiness could be taking 30 minutes to go for a walk, puttering in the garden, going through a McDonald's drive-thru, watching mindless TV, taking a nap. You don't have to justify it, you just need to allow yourself to enjoy it.

Today, on this final day of my Lenten Tea Novena, I intend to be on the lookout for little moments of joy and allow myself to embrace them, and allow others to have their moments of joy as well without interference.

Comments