A Sunny Alaskan Moment

It's been a week. Well, truth be told, it's been nearly two weeks of being in the "valley of the shadow." We've all been there. We eventually climb out. But there are times when things feel a little bleak.

And what should I get in the middle of it all, but a text from one of my oldest friends who happened to be in town for the afternoon. Please note, said friend lives in Alaska, and I am located in southern California. Such "happenings" are rare, indeed.

"Thought I would see if you have time for lunch or tea."
There's a reason we've been friends for so many years! Excellent notion, afternoon tea.

We met in the historic district of San Juan Capistrano at one of my old standbys, The Tea House on Los Rios. I knew such a place in such a town would be fun for her.

 
 
It's always a different, beautiful tea cup, but I always fill it with the same Queen Catherine blend.  AC chose a rooibos blend. And I was delighted when we discovered they had gluten-free bread available for tea sandwiches so my friend could enjoy the full afternoon tea experience.
 
What a breath of fresh air, what a lovely surprise to have one of my oldest friends appear from the far reaches of Alaska in such a week as this. There's no need for back story, there's no need for explanation. You can talk in shorthand and the other one "gets it." She gets it more than most, she's always been that intuitive kind of person. And I just soaked up her latest news as though I hadn't spoken with another human being in years. What the phrase? Balm for the soul? That just about sums it up.
 


It was a fun visit, but I had to tear myself away and get back to work. She, however, got to hang around a bit and see some of the local sights. It made me very happy to get another text from her:

"Spent the day wandering, photographing and soaking in sunshine and beauty."

Perfect.



Enjoy traditional and gluten-free afternoon tea fare at:
The Tea House on Los Rios
31731 Los Rios
San Juan Capistrano, CA 92675
Tea House Hours
Wednesday thru Friday 11 - 5pm
Sat & Sun 9:30 - 5pm
Closed Monday & Tuesday

Phone: 949.443.3914
Email: info@theteahouseonlosrios.com

Comments