Day 4: A Tea Meditation Moment

This morning's cup of tea.

Teasource Dark Green Needle
I've enjoyed the teas offered by Teasource for many years, and when I found myself in the Twin Cities for a conference, I took the opportunity to visit their retail store and was even bold enough to reach out to Bill Waddington, the owner, to see if I might catch him in-person. I was absolutely blown away when he not only welcomed the "hello," but carved out an hour to sit and talk tea, tell me about his journey in the business, show me part of his warehouse, and even have me taste some of his current favorites. Yes, he is a businessman whose chosen vocation is to discover and sell tea, but there's more to it. People ask him for what he has to give: knowledge, wisdom, tea, and he gives in abundance.

We each have a vocation, whether we believe we choose it or not. I've discovered, however, that most people aren't aware of it.  We each have gifts to give the world, and if we pay close enough attention, we find that people will ask us for what we have to give. Our choice is to give that gift or squelch it. It's a matter of saying yes or saying no.

Are you the one people call when they need a shoulder to cry on? Are you the one people turn to at work when they don't understand something and need it explained? Are you the one that can always identify a solution to the problem at hand? Do people turn to you when something needs to be organized?

The interesting thing is that often, if we look at the patterns in our lives, we see that the same type of thing is asked of us again and again. And even more interesting is that usually what is being asked of us is something we find great joy in. Contrary to the notion of, "No pain, no gain,"  we are intended for happiness.

John Henry Newman best described it this way, "God has determined, unless I interfere with His plan, that I should reach that which will be my greatest happiness. He looks on me individually, He calls me by my name, He knows what I can do, what I can best be, what is my greatest happiness, and He means to give it me."

Today I intend to listen more intently to what it is people are asking of me. What is the gift I have to give to the world? How do I feel when I say yes? How do I feel when I say no? What is it that people consistently ask of you that makes you feel good upon giving?

Comments

  1. I think that everybody can make a difference in someone's life, and often it does happen when it's not even expected and these moments are the most important one

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is such a beautiful moment when that does happen. A chance encounter or conversation when a life is impacted or encouraged or changed.

      Delete

Post a Comment