A Minty Fall Moment


There's that je ne sais quoi about September that brings about thoughts of snuggly sweaters, book bags and "bouquets of freshly sharpened pencils," as was described in the movie, "You've Got Mail." Today was slightly overcast, and had just the faintest hint of autumn in the air. Just a whiff, you understand. It takes years of living in southern California to detect the nuance, subtle as it is. But today, it was there. It only took 13 years for me to get it.

So while the nearly 90 degree heat didn't allow for snuggly sweaters, I opted for a cup of tea in my favorite childhood mug - Winnie the Pooh - and not just any tea. Something that brings the senses to life, that piques one's curiosity, that even makes math problems (almost) enticing. It was Moroccan Mint, courtesy of Whittard of Chelsea. The gentle sweetness of the green tea paired with the brisk freshness of the spearmint, I felt more awake - in the wide-eyed sense - than I have in a long time.

My darling  4-year-old has just started her first year of preschool at the same place where she will enter kindergarten next year. Off she goes, with her back pack, to a world of learning and discovery. Yes, I'm one of those who loved school, and I hope she does too. But for today, I'll sit back, enjoy that whisper of fall and sip my tea as I look at my surrounding world with fresh (and refreshed) eyes.




Comments

  1. I love school too!
    I wish your little girl the best in her "new life"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Abadia! I hope you and the family are doing well!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment