A Dark Green Moment

Tomorrow is the first day of summer, and I'm reflecting on how different this year is for me compared to other years. For one thing, I'm absolutely consumed with food. Eating it, growing it, cooking it, reading about it...! I guess that happens when you can't eat for a year.

I'm paying more attention to seasonal ingredients, too. Maybe because I'm actually having some success with my own small garden for the first time EVER.

One result or side effect or... I don't know what to call it... is that now that I can drink tea again I seem to be most drawn to pure teas. No flavorings, no additions. I'm particularly enjoying the plain leaf: Assams, Ceylons, and so on.

As summer rolls in and my outdoor surroundings flourish and deepen in color and fragrance, I am suddenly craving some green tea. I am in luck! In the tea cupboard is an unopened package of Dark Green Needle from Teasource. It's been too long since I've indulged in this long, spindly leaf!


The first thing I notice as its steeping is that there is a slight fragrance of fresh corn. Apropros, as we've been enjoying corn on the cob and all manner of corn salads these past couple of weeks. I find that summer has arrived in my cup! The brew itself is a sunny, golden color, and the first sip provides a robust and refreshing flavor. Slightly nutty, a little earthy, that hint of golden corn, just barely, barely astringent.

So, Summer, I'm ready for you. Ready for a refill, too.

Comments

  1. Summer tea and thee lovely combination

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too kind! Happy first day of summer to you. I hope you have many good things steeping this week!

      Delete

Post a Comment